Monday, April 05, 2010

DILE logo

One of my colleagues complained several times because DILE used the standard .NET icon and thus it was a bit difficult to find it in the taskbar.

Unfortunately I can't draw. I have absolutely no talent for arts so I decided to look for a logo. And what else could the logo be? Of course, it's a crocoDILE (pun intended).

However, finding logos is not as easy I thought. I spent more than 3 hours on searching for images on the Internet. I wanted something free, non-cartoonish with the correct aspect ratio. In the end I found this:



It's quite nice I think. I've created smaller icons from it and now both the .exe and the main form uses these icons. I've also added a Start Page which contains this logo and the version number.



I'm also going to add the list of recent projects and assemblies to this new Start Page which will make it a bit more useful.

But seems like I'm not done with images yet as another colleague keeps asking me to find icons for the panels...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Swavek said...

Hey Zsolt,

In the search of free icons you may want to take a look at XP Common Toolset and Vista Common Toolset sets at http://www.glyfx.com/products/free.html.

Of course you also have (in)famous famfamfam icons, but I don't think they match your taste.

BTW: Would it be possible to split solutions: C# from C++ to two different projects? Using VS 2008 EE it is very difficult to use it: VC++ EE cannot convert the solution correctly because it does not recognise C# projects, VC# EE fails as well due to C++ code.

Cheers.

Friday, April 9, 2010 at 4:27:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Zsozso said...

Hi Swavek,

Thanks for the tip, I'll check those icons.

I keep everything in 1 solution file to make debugging easier. This way VS can step from C# code to VC++, vica versa. If you want to load the projects in VS Express Editions then simply delete the solution file and open the project files individually.

Friday, April 9, 2010 at 8:12:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home