Sunday, February 25, 2007

DILE v0.2.5 (64-bit compatible)

First of all, yep, I'm still alive. Lately I have been quite busy, I had quite a lot of things to arrange after moving to Singapore. Finding a proper accomodation was also not easy. But - at last - things seem to settle down and hopefully soon I can get back to my normal life and spend more time on DILE also. :-)

Second, I could not stand the overwhelming demand anymore... Lots of users (means 2) have informed me that DILE is not running on x64 OS. I had a few ideas what can be wrong but in the end I found out that the problem was more serious than I expected. Basically, I made 2 big mistakes:
1. I mixed up IntPtr and uint/int variables in some cases. On x86 processors this didn't cause problem because both are 4-byte data type, but of course on x64 it immedately caused an exception.
2. I didn't know (shame on me) that 64 bit assemblies have different headers. x86 files have PE32 and 64 bit assemblies have PE32+ header. The difference between the two is little, but enough to make my positioning algorithm fail.

The good news is that I have fixed both problems and now DILE is working correctly on x64 OS also. Actually, I have tested it on Windows Server 2003 x64.
There are no other improvements for now though, only a few more bug fixes (see change log).

zip file (x86): dile_v0_2_5_x86.zip
zip file (x64): dile_v0_2_5_x64.zip
readme.txt: readme.txt
license.txt: license.txt
change_log.txt: change_log.txt

Just a few screenshots to keep this old habit + prove that DILE is really x64 compatible:

Disassembled 64-bit assembly

Debugging DILE with DILE on x64 OS


One note: the DockPanelSuite seems to have some problem with x64. Panels look weird for me. But I think it's not a DILE bug. Actually, the second screenshot shows that the DockPanelSuite throws an ArgumentOutOfRangeException.

Next step: making Flash tutorials for DILE...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tool man, keep the good work

Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 1:15:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Zsozso said...

Thanks a lot. :-)

I hope that it is really useful and it can help in everyday work also. :-)

Sunday, February 25, 2007 at 3:50:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of thank you for this valuable tool. V0.2.4 seems to work fine. Unfortunately, 0.2.5 crashes with exception. The error is File.IO.Exception..'Cannot load file Dile.Debug, Version 0.2.5.0, cultre=neutral, pulickeytoken=null.., or one or more dependencis not found.'

Any ideas. I have the .net1.1 and .net2 installed. WinXp SP2, VS2003 and VS2005 both installed on the same machine.

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 8:49:00 AM GMT+2  
Blogger Zsozso said...

Hi Kesk,

Thank you. I really hope that soon I can release a new version...

The error message that you mentioned usually means that not the correct version of DILE is being run on the operating system. Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit windows XP? For the former, you should use the x86 version of DILE and for the latter the x64 (it depends on the operating system's version, not the processor). Please, let me know if this can't be the problem.

Regards,
Zsolt Petreny

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 11:44:00 AM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home