Thursday, October 20, 2005

DILEpas (DILE v0.2 beta released)

Thanks to my wife today I've learnt a new Indonesian word: dilepas. It means "to be released". Well, I released DILE v0.2 beta yesterday.

The zip file: dile_v0_2_beta.zip
readme.txt: readme.txt
license.txt: license.txt
change_log.txt: change_log.txt

The most important new feature is that debugging is working now. This means that you can load an assembly in DILE and then debug its IL code.
The debugging features briefly:
  • step into/step over/step out
  • start/stop/detach from/attach to process
  • debugging is stopped when exception thrown
  • add/remove/activate/deactive breakpoint
  • "Object Viewer"
  • call stack: including going up and down in the current call stack
  • local variables/arguments
  • debug messages
  • debug events (e.g.: process started/exited, class loaded/unloaded)
And there's one more feature which is not related to debugging: Quick Search. It's similar to the Visual Studio File Finder Add-In. It helps you to find a definition (method definition, type definition etc.) faster if you know its name. Often it's more comfortable to use this than searching in the tree.

And the screenshots as always:

An exception in the "Object Viewer"

Local Variables

Arguments

Debug Events

Call Stack


Breakpoints

Quick Search

Attach to process


This is still a beta version which means that it's not completely stable, contains known bugs and I plan to add a few new things later. However, it's good enough to show what I am working on and in certain situations it can already be useful (it has helped me a few times). Anyway, for detailed information see the readme.txt.

Have fun using it and debugging the mscorlib.dll! I really enjoy it. ;-)

Edit: I have fixed the links to the screenshots. Thanks to Szokelizer for warning me.

Update:
Unfortunately, there were serious bugs in the beta version which prevented debugging v1.1 assemblies. I have fixed them and uploaded a new, beta 2 version to Sourceforge. The file is available from here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks very cool!

I added basic IL-debugging functionality to the Mdbg sample:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jmstall/archive/2005/11/04/mdbg_il_debugging.aspx

to convince folks that it's possible. This looks much better.

Friday, November 4, 2005 at 5:11:00 PM GMT+1  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried using DILE on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition machine. It throws a System.MissingField exception... Hope you have fix for this...

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 at 4:24:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Zsozso said...

Frankly, I've never tried to run DILE on Windows 2003. I'll download a trial and try to fix the problem ASAP.
Thanks for reporting this bug. I was just about to release a new version (which uses the RTM .NET Framework, not Beta 2). At least, I can include the fix in it. :-)

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 at 9:47:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Zsozso said...

I've had a little technical problem lately but I was able to try DILE under Windows 2003 at last.
I was also able to reproduce the problem by using the RTM version of the .NET Framework. The last, v0.2 beta 2 version was still compiled with the Beta 2 .NET Framework thus I suppose the cause is some kind of incompatibility between the 2 Frameworks.
If everything goes well then soon (in few weeks, hopefully before Christmas) I'll release a new version of DILE which will use the RTM FW so that this problem won't occur again.

Sunday, December 4, 2005 at 9:24:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home