Thursday, May 19, 2005

First DILE release

At last! I have finished the first release of DILE.

The zip file: dile_v0_01_pre_alpha.zip.
readme.txt: readme.txt.
license.txt (GPL license but I'm thinking of changing this later): license.txt.
change_log.txt (almost empty): change_log.txt.

It's still very primitive, it has no editing or debugging abilities, it's rather just a disassembler like ildasm.
Despite it's built with .NET Framework 2.0 it does not support generics and thus mostly I tested it with v1.x assemblies.
I'm sure there are lots of bugs in it what I also mention in the readme.txt.
But if you find any then please let me know. Actually, one of my biggest problems is that I can't find an example of everything. Programming by documentation is one thing and practise is another. ;-)

However, here are a few screenshots:

A quite complicated calli instruction...

Definition of an assembly

The v1.1 Framework loaded at once

Manifest resources, references, global type etc


I will still have a lot of work to do with DILE. I know it will take years to finish it but... it's fun to do it. :-)

Here are the next steps:
1. Find out how to read permission sets and marshalling informations.
2. Support generics.
3. Add new features like go to definition.

Once the disassemble part of the program is ready I will start to implement debugging also and then this will really be a useful application.

Edited: Fixed the link of the .zip file. Thanks to Sandor Korozsi for warning me.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations for the first release!

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 7:24:00 PM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to say: you are great!

Friday, May 20, 2005 at 9:34:00 AM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations ;)

Thursday, June 2, 2005 at 7:18:00 PM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any suggestions for someone who is attempting to build what you are building?

Monday, July 4, 2005 at 5:16:00 PM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have some great posts (so I am reading all of them), great work!

Monday, July 4, 2005 at 5:18:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Zsozso said...

Thank you very much for the compliment. :-)
I don't really know what to suggest. On the Internet it's very difficult to find good sources for the Unmanaged Metadata API and actually this is why I started this blog (though I don't have as much time on writing as I expected). So far what I have mostly used is the documentation what is installed with Whidbey + a hexa editor.
If you wish you can also check the source code of DILE but... I warn you, it looks a little bit chaotic right now, especially because in the beginning I didn't really know what I was creating. Well, and there are not too many comments also. Shame on me.
I have seen on your blog that you're doing some research on MSIL. If I can help you, just let me know. :-)

Monday, July 4, 2005 at 9:18:00 PM GMT+2  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any way I can get you to email me (jason@jasonhaley.com) a zip of the latest source (or put the source zip up on sourceforge?)

My reseach is coming along pretty good... lots of reading to do. Here are some resources I have found that you might be interested in (they are source that I have found to be good complements with Partion II):

Six Chapters all on Metadata
http://vijaymukhi.com/documents/books/metadata/contents.htm

Three Chapers on building an IL Disassembler
http://vijaymukhi.com/documents/books/ildasm/ildasm.htm

IL Book
http://vijaymukhi.com/documents/books/ilbook/contents.htm

Saturday, July 16, 2005 at 1:49:00 PM GMT+2  
Blogger Zsozso said...

Thanks for the links.

I have sent you an e-mail with the source code. I hope you will find it useful.

Saturday, July 16, 2005 at 8:39:00 PM GMT+2  

Post a Comment

<< Home