Saturday, July 16, 2005

Confusing

I'm sorry, I must admit, I'm weak. I couldn't stand, I started to play with debugging. Thanks to Jon Langdon, Brad Abrams and Mike Stall's article I have implemented basic functionalities so far. The code is not on SourceForget yet though as I'm sure I'll rewrite it now that I know how it works.

Anyway, of course I use DILE whenever I need a disassembler but in a case I really found it useful.
A few days ago I had a problem. Just for fun, I tried to debug an ASP.NET application by attaching to it from DILE. But whenever I attached to the aspnet_wp.exe an exception was thrown. Later I tried the same on my machine also and everything worked fine. So, I thought here's the time to really use DILE. I know it's possible to debug a program without it's source code (by the way, a very good blog: Advanced .NET Debugging) but it's more fun to use my own program.
Thus I simply launched DILE, loaded itself in it, then started to debug it and from the new instance I attached to the aspnet_wp process and checked the first instance to see where is the exception thrown exactly and why. It was quite easy to find the problem.

Here's a screenshot (I like screenshots) illustrating the above mentioned situation. Though here I attach to a console application from the second DILE.



I think this is quite confusing. Debugging DILE in DILE. But it works. :-)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Wonderful tool. I've instantly fallen in love with DILE.
I've been long looking for IL debugger. here it is. fabulous Job.

Do u plan to release source code?

Friday, November 4, 2005 at 2:36:00 PM GMT+1  
Blogger Zsozso said...

Hello Sameer,

Thanks.

Actually the source code is available on the project's homepage on SourceForge in the CVS.
I also plan to release the source code in a separate .zip file but I think its quality is very poor right now.
Soon, I'll finish the 0.2 version (I've added lots of - mostly UI related - features) and after that I'm going to refactor the code and release it also.

However if you need it urgently, then let me know and I'll send the current source code for you. :-)

Regards,
Zsolt Petrény

Friday, November 4, 2005 at 2:52:00 PM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home